Steps in a Typical Deliberative Process
Step 1: Learn
- Participants read a nonpartisan background report on the issue before the event begins.
- Guest speakers share expertise.
Step 2: Consider Options
- Discuss the topic, including ideal outcomes and barriers.
- Consider different approaches and tradeoffs.
Step 3: Choose Solutions
- Draft consensus recommendations.
- Share recommendations.
- Combine similar recommendations.
- Amend recommendations.
- Finalize recommendations
Step 4: Advance Change
A team of volunteers work for 12-18 months after the deliberation to educate people and lawmakers about the event’s recommendations.
Activities include presentations, testimony, private sector meetings, online outreach, etc.
Each major deliberation produces a bipartisan, consensus-based policy platform. Our work focuses on:
- Good government
- Natural Resources
Below is a sampling of policy changes that were influenced by the people and ideas of New Mexico First.
- Ethics commission constitutional amendment resolution, 2017
- Poverty reduction memorial, gathering essential data on safety net thresholds, 2017
- Workforce training expanded by change in eligibility requirements, 2017
- Broadband access and funding, 2017
- Watershed restoration fund for state lands, 2017
- Weight of student test scores reduced in teacher evaluations, 2017
- Agency rulemaking made consistent, 2017
- Endorsement of statewide agricultural task force, 2017
- Water planning appropriations, 2016
- Retained math as essential to elementary teacher licensure, ensuring a minimum of six credit hours, 2015
- Multiple STEM funding initiatives, including stipends for teachers in hard-to-staff areas, 2015
- Water research funding for NM universities, including aquifer characterization and legal research, 2015
- Funding for state and regional water planning, 2014-2015
- Water conservation tax credits, 2015
- New agency rule to reduce freshwater use by oil and gas industry through reuse of produced water, 2105
- Funding for STEM education initiatives and teacher professional development, 2014
- Legislative endorsement of STEM targets, including metrics for student and teacher improvements, 2014
- Funding for job training incentive program (JTIP), 2014
- Peer-to-peer substance abuse memorial, 2013
- Early childhood development eligibility expanded, 2013
- Expansion of Medicaid coverage, 2013
- Economic development MainStreet frontier communities program reauthorized, 2013
- New Mexico Chile advertising act strengthened, 2013
- Corporate tax reduction, 2013
- Small Business Task Force on Regulatory Reform, 2011
- Establishment of New Mexico Mentorship Day, 2011
- Support for Tres Amigas transmission project, 2010
- Executive Order 2009-002 on energy development, 2009
- Marketing support for state agricultural products, 2009
- Healthy New Mexico Task Force, 2008
- Medical student financial support: aid to repay loans, incentives to stay in NM, 2008
- Alignment of high school graduation requirements with college entrance exams, 2007
- Public Education Department Math & Science Bureau established, 2006
- High School Reform Act, 2006
- Small Business Regulatory Relief Act, 2005
- Renewable Energy Act and the Renewable Energy Production Tax Credit, 2002
- Creation of the NM Tax Research Institute, 2001
- Phase-in of full-day kindergarten, 1999
- Inclusion of regional basin and watershed plans in the statewide watershed plans, 1998
- Expansion of Mayor’s Youth Advisory Councils, 1996
- Constitutional amendment of the anti-donation clause to allow public funds for economic development, 1994
- Constitutional Convention supported, 1994
- Restructuring of Worker’s Compensation laws, 1993
- Ethics/campaign reporting requirements adopted, 1993
- Enactment of the NM Mining Act, 1993
- Creation of the NM Finance Authority and the Public Project Revolving Loan Fund, 1992
- Enactment of Defense Conversion & Technology Act, 1992
- Creation of State Health Policy Commission, 1991
- Prenatal care added to Medicaid, 1991
- Expanded of the state’s database on geology and groundwater, 1990
- Permanent school funding task force created by legislation, 1990
- Formation of Economic Development and Tourism Commission, 1987