Call to Action: Calling New Mexicans to help with COVID-19, Food, Hunger, and Water Relief
The need for emergency food has hit a real crisis across New Mexico. Our children are the hungriest in the nation pre-pandemic, and the situation
is getting desperate for families, food banks, food pantries, and meal programs statewide.
The emergency food providers count on volunteers to achieve their missions. Most of those volunteers throughout the state are retirees, and our
elders are at particularly high-risk of illness right now. Our emergency food programs throughout the state have pantries closing because of
a lack of volunteers. The food banks and pantries that have remained open are practicing social distancing to keep volunteers, staff, and the
community safe as they distribute food to hungry people.
Your support is needed to continue to meet these critical needs.
We can all be a part of the solution!
- Volunteer (if you're healthy and able)
- Donate personal protective equipment (gloves and masks) to keep volunteers, and the public safe as food is shared.
- Donate boxes and bags. Many emergency food providers have gone to drive-through food distribution to limit contact and respond to the increased
number of people using these community supports and need a way to pass food out quickly and safely.
- Donate cleaning supplies, shelters, and pantries maintain high standards of cleanliness and safety, but hoarding of cleaning supplies means
that they cannot buy these needed items.
- Please give monetary donations to food banks and pantries to purchase large quantities of food and cover mileage and supplies to distribute
food. Consider giving locally as well as finding a rural, frontier or Tribal/Pueblo community program to support as they have been particularly
hard hit and experience food deserts during regular times.
- Help- you can practice social distancing and continue to reach out to neighbors/community members who may be unable to leave their homes and
offer assistance with the basics. You can call ahead and drop off needed items in their driveways. We all have something to offer each
How you can be part of the solution!
Identify local food resources by entering your location into the database. Click here to get started. Pick an organization that you would like to help and contact them.