Transforming Behavioral Health in New Mexico:
A pathway toward hope and healing
Statewide Town Hall 2022
Wednesday, 6/15 – 8:30 am-5 pm
Thursday, 6/16 – 8 am-2 pm
Isleta Resort & Casino and Online
New Mexico First is pleased to host Transforming Behavioral Health in New Mexico: A pathway toward hope and healing , a Statewide Town Hall for 2022, on Wednesday and Thursday, June 15 & 16, 2022 at Isleta Resort and Casino.
This 2022 Town Hall will address Behavioral Health in New Mexico and will be a hybrid in-person/virtual conference, allowing stakeholders from around the state to participate even if they don’t travel to the conference. New Mexico First will bring people together to engage in a deliberative town hall format that produces concrete, actionable recommendations for the N.M. State Legislature and other policymakers.
New Mexico First will conduct extensive research and will develop a background report on the issues of mental and behavioral health. Using a background report on the issues of mental and behavioral health in the state as a starting point, New Mexico First will convene attendees in a deliberative town hall format. This format brings people together to engage each other and produce concrete, actionable recommendations for the decision-makers, policymakers and other stakeholders. Another part of the research involves information gathered at a series of “Community Conversations” hosted by New Mexico First around the state in the months leading up to the June Town Hall.
Among the confirmed speakers for the event is U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich, Rio Rancho Mayor Greggory D. Hull, Dr. Mauricio Tohen and more. You can see the full list below.
A NOTE ON VIRTUAL REGISTRATION:
We are limited to only 100 virtual spaces and they are prioritized for individuals who do not have the ability to attend in person. Thank you!
A NOTE FOR VIRTUAL ATTENDEES:
The success of the Town Hall rests on your participation in the complete town hall, including interactive small group discussions. We request that if you sign up to be a virtual attendee, that you commit to attending, and actively participating in, the entire conference. Our success depends on full participation from all our attendees.
For additional information or to get involved, contact New Mexico First at email@example.com.
Thank you to our generous sponsors!
We have several fantastic speakers who will be on hand both in-person and virtually for Town Hall 2022!
- U.S. Senator Martin Heinrich – Elected in 2012, Mr. Heinrich is a United States Senator for New Mexico. Heinrich serves on the Senate Energy and Natural Resources, Appropriations, Intelligence, and Joint Economic Committees. With a background in engineering, Heinrich brings a unique perspective to the Senate, where he is focused on creating the jobs of the future and confronting the climate crisis.
- Greggory D. Hull, Mayor of Rio Rancho – Mr. Hull was elected as mayor in April 2014 via a runoff election to a four-year term. He was re-elected in March 2018 to a four-year term. In March 2022, Hull was re-elected to his third, four-year term. Rio Rancho Governing Body members are elected in non-partisan elections.
- Dr. Mauricio Tohen – Dr. Tohen is currently the Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Department. He is also a professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the UNM School of Medicine.
- Mariela Ruiz-Angel, City of Albuquerque Director of Community Safety – An Experienced bilingual leader with a proven background, Ms. Ruiz-Angel has headed up the Community Safety department since 2020. Prior to that, she led the City’s OIR Coordinator from 2017-2020.
- Jodie Jepson, Housing Director, Heading Home – Ms. Jepson received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and Exercise Physiology and Leisure Science with an emphasis in coaching in 2001 from Adams State College in Alamosa, Colorado. Since that time, she has dedicated her career to impacting the marginalized and forgotten populations in our society.
- Marshall Martinez, Executive Director, Equality New Mexico – Born in Alamogordo, Mr. Martinez is an organizer, and has been a political strategist for multiple candidates and organizations; from fighting climate change with the League of Conservation Voters to working for fair pay and safe working conditions with AFSCME, the public employees labor union.
- Annabella Farmer, Investigative Reporter, Searchlight New Mexico – Born and raised in Santa Fe, Ms. Farmer came to investigative journalism while studying at the Institute of American Indian Arts, and graduated from the writing program in May 2021. She worked with High Country News as an intern, and contributed research support and consulting for the Polk Award-winning Land Grab Universities project.
- And more to come!
New Mexico First has teamed up with Searchlight New Mexico as our media partner for Town Hall 2022. Searchlight New Mexico will be reporting on behavioral health issues in May as part of National Mental Health Month.
- May 4, 2022 – “When the new suicide hotline debuts, will New Mexico drop the call?” by Luciana Perez Uribe Guinassi
- May 25, 2022 – “‘Hurt people raising hurt people’: A mental health crisis grows in NM amid a dire lack for services” by Annabella Farmer with photos by Nadav Soroker
Below are the four Sponsorship levels. Click on the Town Hall 2022 Sponsorship Opportunities button to make you contribution to the 2020 Town Hall!
New Mexico First’s Statewide Town Hall for 2022, taking place Wednesday and Thursday, June 15 & 16, 2022 at Isleta Resort and Casino, south of Albuquerque….Wednesday, June 15, 2022 – Thursday, June 16, 2022 Isleta Resort & Casino and Online (Hybrid event)
1000 Broadway Blvd SE,
Albuquerque, NM 87105